Sunday, August 17, 2014

A less than optimal result. Stupid is as stupid does.

So, there I was, clicking along on my keyboard, and I had one task left undone from Friday -- I recently pulled an inventory of ammunition at the house here (NEVER keep all your eggs in one basket) when I realized that some 12 Gauge birdshot ammunition that I had put up for investment (I don't hunt anymore) in some old wooden crates were in need of reinforcement (lids would not stay securely clamped when handled). So I borrowed a nylon strapping machine and set about banding the boogers.
Now its been more than few years since I was a warehouse manager and my recollection of the procedures were a little hazy but I worked it out. I had four crates to band, no problemo. Well, one problemo. On the third box the handle under full tension got away from my grip, and I was leaning down into the work and faster than you can say "concussion" the handle flipped up and smacked me in the temple/right eyebrow area. Stunned, it took me a minute to realize that I was bleeding like a stuck pig from a cut on the outer aspect of the eyebrow. I had a heckuva headache for a while, but that's subsided. This morning I have a beautiful shiner in my right eye extending all the way over to the bridge of the nose and down to the cheek. Good thing I had the video documentary interview last week. Good news? The blow bent but did not break my much-insulted eyeglasses. (You may recall my faceplant a couple of weeks ago.) Being wire-rims I was able to bend them back into place.
Anyway, I'm back at it this morning so I'll something of my own for y'all later.

5 comments:

j said...

I'm speechless. Almost. I do know that facial and scalp wounds bleed incredibly, and I am truly sorry to know of that happening. Hope you will recover soon. And if anyone asks about your shiner, you can always blame Bush. It seems to work for the bastard-in-chief.

MamaLiberty said...

Ouch! Uncle Murphy seems to have it in for you especially lately. :(

The horse pasture gate got away from me a week or so ago, and smacked me right over the left eye... hard. Only just broke the skin, but I fully expected a massive shiner.

I must be even more hard headed than I thought... it was swollen and sore for a few days, but never colored up.

Get well soon! You never know when another video opportunity will come along. :)

Anonymous said...

I trust you will soon recover ... and that the handle was not damaged enough to prevent the completion of the banding opperation!

III

TRex said...

FedUp said...
"It's good to have spares. I recently went without glasses for a week and it was no fun.
Lots of places to get really cheap glasses on the net."

I am not familiar with the places FedUp listed, but I get decent (not great) bifocals for under $40 a pair from Zenni dot com

In the mean time, you could say it was a martial arts mishap. (Banding up ammo is a martial art)

Loren said...

With spares, it's not that easy if you have a larger prescription.

On bending glasses, I'd say be very careful if you have spring loaded temples--the much smaller parts in there are very frafile, and while flexible, work harden very quickly. They'll break on you before you know they're ready to.